StatCounter

Saturday, March 16, 2019

Musicalness


Last night we played for a dance. Since it is St. Patrick's Day weekend it was fitting for us to start the festivities for the next couple of days. Here is a photo from the dance floor.
That was taken by our cello player during a break. She left out herself and our bodhran (drum) player. I am the one with the genuine Irish tweed hat in the middle.

The dance floor was small as the Wunderbar left tables there to serve food and beverages. At least we were dinner music, too, and the place was pretty well packed to capacity. One of these days I will find a recording of decent quality, but this cell phone video will give you an idea of what we sometimes do for these dances. It is always fun no matter what. At least it has been for the last 25  years or so. I love the way cell phones only seem to pick up the trebly sounds and everything else is just muddled. No, I don't, but here it is anyway. I hope it works!
So while we are having fun the Big Lake is finally starting to lose its icy cover. The wind, rain, and above freezing weather has already put a dent in it.


The snow pack is melting, the flood warnings are around and the road bans are being put on this week. That means no trucks with axle weights of over 5 tons on my road starting Tuesday. So I got a load of hay yesterday and the weekend project is to put it in two places. Some in the barn and some in the hay shed. That is about 7 or 8 tons (230 bales) and I intend to start after I finish writing this. Most of it will wait until tomorrow, though, as I have a couple of young people coming to help. That is a very good thing, otherwise I will be tired for days and still won't be done. With help we usually get it done in less than two hours.+
Spring in the Northern Hemisphere will officially arrive with the equinox this week. It is a good thing to have gotten through one more winter. We'll be slowly warming up as opposed to you all on the other side of the equator who will finally be cooling down. That is the way it has been for billions of years and I hope it continues for a while.






23 comments:

  1. hello handsome. unthawing is good. I have crocus and snowdrops in my yard and the birdies are returning/singing in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a couple of slightly open high spots in the pasture, but it'll be another month at least before I can go walk in the woods without snowshoes.

      Delete
  2. Nice hat, O'Jono! I like your fiddle player's jaunty wee green leprechaun's hat too! I studied the bodhran for awhile but didn't practice enough to really ever get the true hang of it. I love listening to it though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was too big for the person who was supposed to get it and for me, too, but I carefully shrunk it to fit. Drumming of any sort is a lot more difficult than it appears if it is done well. I'm not much of a dancer which is why I play. Love to watch them, though!

      Delete
  3. Joyful, lively and for the dancers, a great exercise! Looks fun to line dance to.
    What do you call this type of music?Jig? Hambo? Polka? The flat cap is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We played whatever the caller asked for. Jigs, waltzes, reels, polkas, etc., depending on the dance he wanted to teach. We know quite a few tunes.

      Delete
  4. That little white-haired lady--the one in the foreground--dances like I would dance... in a confused way.

    It does look like a fun time for all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a lot of confusion amongst the newbies, but the more experienced dancers help them all along. I would probably fall on my face. Lots of fun is had!

      Delete
  5. Looks like fun ... we always knew you were the "genuine" thing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is great fun. I may withhold things, but will never intentionally lead you on without a disclaimer at some point. Usually the punch line comes at the end. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounding good—through my laptop speakers it is like listening to an old 78 (minus the scratches and pops).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually heard a decent recording of us on a cd that someone made a few years ago, but I don't know what happened to it.

      Delete
  8. What fun! I had a childhood flashback. :-)
    It appears spring arrived this week for us. I love seeing the green peaking out of the grass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a ways to go before I see green near the house, but it looks like a good week ahead for melting.

      Delete
  9. I loved your video clip - that's my favourite kind of music and dance! What fun! And hooray for spring, and for friends who help you shift a few tons of bales in a couple of hours. Life is good. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure we could be talked into coming out to B.C. and playing for free if you cover expenses!😁 The hay is all put away now, so yes, life is good!

      Delete
    2. If I had the money, a ticket would be on its way! Maybe if I win the lottery... ;-)

      Delete
  10. We have hit a week of warm days in the high forties and fifties before dropping back below freezing and the height of the sun in the sky has take down the snowbanks on the south side of the house. Still about three feet standing; but that few days of warmth is the reminder that spring is not far away.
    the Ol'Buzzard

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are going to have great week, too! You'll be able to see out your windows again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the idea of having a dance like that, with live music. I've been to a few like that and would love to come and dance with your band! |no spring here yet, just a hint of warmth above freezing but nothing spectacular. A bit of dead looking grass is starting to emerge. But no spring flowers yet. Crikey it's been a long winter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the video of the dance. I'd get so confused, I would trip over myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you know why I play music and don't dance.

      Delete