StatCounter

Sunday, May 20, 2018

Warbler watching

The warblers have just returned following one of the first laws of nature; where there is something to eat there is something to eat it. In this case it is bugs hatching around the ponds. They are not the type of bugs that bug humans, yet. Those will be hatching soon enough.

Most of these birds have migrated from somewhere south of here. Some as far as South America so it stands to reason that they are hungry. Before the leaves have completely unfurled it gives me a chance to see them for long periods of time, often as much as two seconds. These are not lazy or immobile critters. Trying to photograph them is beyond challenging, but every year I try. I got a few passable pics this time of the 1.5 bazillion that I attempted to take. They are so beautiful and colorful that I am still smiling through my frustration.

Here we go for a walk by the ponds.

This is a Black-throated Green Warbler.
This is a Yellow-rumped warbler. They used to be called Myrtle warbler. This one is covering up its yellow rump at the moment. Must be shy and may explain the name change.
I apologize for the blur, but these little suckers really move around! I believe this is a Canada warbler. Probably in a hurry to continue north to his home.
This is a Yellow warbler. It sure is bright in the sunlight!
This is a Redstart. They seem to be some of the more numerous warblers along with the Yellow-rumped.

 In lowering my eyes a bit I notice one of the other denizens of the ponds, a painted turtle. I think we have two of these. I am not sure if it is an Eastern, Western, or Midland version. Maybe one of you knows.
These were all taken  by the upper pond. When leaving I saw something on the other side of the lower pond. It was a Lesser Yellowlegs.
It can be so much fun living in a place with several different habitats out my front door. All these birds are just one aspect of it and there is so much I don't see. There were several other bird species that I couldn't identify or photograph. My respect for wildlife photographers always grows when I realize how much effort goes into a good photograph of the natural world.

 The fiddlehead ferns are also popping up. Might have to saute some for dinner. As always, click on the pictures to embiggen.






14 comments:

  1. Such pretty birds! And enjoy those fiddlehead delicacies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The smaller birds so often make greased lightening seem slow and predictable don't they? You did really, really well.
    Love your theory about food and consumers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beautiful birds.
    We do not have the yellow and blue warblers here.
    May they ear many bugs !

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that the pictures you got are pretty good! Birdwatching is a joy, isn't it? Especially this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Warblers? Oh no! Another whole group of birds to consider! My brain is straining at the seams already!

    These are some great pictures of cute little songsters. And the varied habitat is a big plus when you're interested in seeing wildlife. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had a pair of yellow-rumped warblers pass through here last week, maybe they were on their way to your place?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your warblers are so pretty! I'm impressed that you actually managed to snap some photos - I've tried, but I rarely manage to get anything but a blur. "...long periods of time, often as much as two seconds" made me laugh, because it's the truth!

    Speaking of bright happy birds, we just saw a western tanager yesterday, and a ruby-throated hummingbird hovered right outside our living room window (trying to figure out how to get to the giant hot-pink amaryllis that was blooming on our side of the glass). If only I'd been as quick as you with my camera...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Debra, we have to be quick as there is only about a week long window of opportunity.

    Elephant's Child, They are so quick and won't hold still for anything. Nothing like, "I'm ready for my profile, Mr. DeMille".

    Silver Willow, I'll tell them you said so. :)

    angryparsnip, The first one I fell in love with was the Black-throated Blue warbler. I was only a teenager then.

    Jennifer, It is a wonderful part of the springtime when life returns after the cold and bleak winter.

    jenny_o, I'll bet you get some interesting birds passing through your part of the world. I would like to grow feathers and see how far I could go.

    Professor, They did mention that they had stopped by your place.

    Diane, I have been practicing for some time and need to keep practicing and trying new methods. Once in a great while something nice happens. And my reflexes ain't what they used to be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your warbler pictures are pretty impressive seeing the little birds move so fast. I've seen quite a few wild creatures in my sort-of-urban back yard recently, including a skunk, a fox, and a huge old raccoon ambling along. Also a pair of red tailed hawks are hunting for dinner every day.
    I've hung up my humming bird feeder but so far the only customers are the big bad black squirrels who hang upside down and drink the sugary water out of the feeder holes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our fiddlehead ferns are popping up now too! I love this time of year. Those warblers are so pretty with all of their colours!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job getting such nice pictures of such pretty, flitty, little birds! It's a lot easier when you're dealing with great big birds, like swans, geese, and great blue herons!

    We have a few cardinals living in the tree in front of the house. I commented about how they seem to be really happy, just singing their hearts out at top volume. Then my husband said that he had read that birds have become louder in recent years. Louder? Well yes, to adapt to the increased noise in the environment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have an old Peterson guide to birds, and one section is for "Confusing Fall Warblers." They sure confuse me. You have some really pretty ones; I don't know what we have, if any, but none of those for sure. I'd have noticed.

    ReplyDelete