StatCounter

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Living vicariously

Fifteen years ago today I lost a classmate in one of the World Trade Center towers and had another classmate, a firefighter, respond. I know it's September 11th and it will be more than mentioned a few times everywhere else, so I'll opt for diversion.

I have some friends and family who get around in this world. I have stolen some pictures from them that have been posted on Facebook mostly, and am posting them here without permission from them. I hope they aren't embarrassed or that they don't sue me for defamation of character or anything like that. They shouldn't be as I have used my great abilities of judgement to post some of what I think are cool photos. If anyone is offended I apologize. Not everyone is included here because that would take more time than anyone might want to spend here. Almost all of these are close family.

Besides, I couldn't think of anything else to write about today. Well, that's not entirely true either, but that's my reasoning and I'm sticking to it. Here goes.







From top to bottom we have Anders and Gunhild Iren at the Vatican, Bente and her dog in the mountains, Eyglo in the wilds of Iceland, Suzanne, Knut, Karla, Anne, and Truls at the hytte, Giske and Pia in the mountains, Gro, Felicia, and daughter at breakfast, beautiful Heidi (on the right) with friends.








Gro in Cuba, Suzanne (Heidi's sister) doing some modeling, Laurie on the beach where I spent my childhood summers, Webjorn's bike in the Italian Alps, Stein Kåre' s bike followed by him, Sverrir bathing in Iceland, Tigerlilje (Kristin) hiking with friends, and Webjorn skiing.
Lars is always fishing.

One last one from yesterday of my favorite local Librarian, Ann, as she climbs the mast on Lake Superior.
When you add up all the fun available in the world it must be amazing. This is just a small group of people and just one fun thing they have done recently. Most of them are still young enough to do a whole lot more. Heck, even I can still do a whole lot of things. So with all the tragedy and nasty crap going on in the world, there are still some mighty fine diversions available for those who seek them out. So don't forget to take the time to smell the roses in your own back yard, your neighbor's, or some stranger's halfway around the planet. There is plenty of joy to be had.



 

20 comments:

  1. And Jono, if we let terrorists steal our joy or if they make us want to stay holed-up in our house, they've REALLY won.

    Thanks for sharing the joy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry for the loss you experienced. We all lost that day, even if we didn't know anyone personally who was there. You celebrate your friends now with the photos. They're beautiful.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post on this day of sad reminders. We must choose joy or we lose everything worth living for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fifteen years
    Bloody hell....i remember it as if it was yesterday

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lowely.
    Thank you so much for sharing beauty and joy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful! Pictures of people having fun. What an adventurous family you have. We should all put as much fun in our lives as possible. I'm going to a cowboy lunch today.... that should be fun. And then the physiotherapist is coming to my house to put me through my excersises, well, that won't be quite as much fun, but I'll enjoy it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. damn..only place I go to is Westfest and it's 1/2 mile from my apt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's right -- go for the gusto! Even vicariously!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dang! Everyone seems to be having more fun than I do. I need to do something about that!

    Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sioux, They'll have to blow me up to convince me of anything. I WILL NOT live in fear.

    Janie, It was a great loss, but I think back to my mother in London during the Blitz and my father in occupied Norway and take some hope and strength from that.

    jenny_o, It is ultimately the choice we make that sets our lives.

    John Gray, Events like that are indelibly etched on our lives. There are a handful I remember.

    Elephant's Child, What else could I do?

    Shammickite, Lunch is one of my favorite times of the day. The results of your therapy should always be uplifting. At least after the discomfort goes away.

    JACIESUE, I don't get out much either which is why I posted other people's fun.

    Debra, I need to remember to stay busy living, otherwise I might be slowly dying.

    Pixel Peeper, Think of it as dream motivation. Like you, I do get out around the neighborhood regularly. At least it is something.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it was one of Larson's cows that said "Don't forget to stop and eat the roses". Still good advice. In many ways life is what we make it, given the set of circumstances we are born in.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Family and friends.
    Nothing else matters.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is the perfect attitude to have. All of them are such beautiful, happy people. Where can I get me some of those?

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a wonderful 9/11 post. It's often hard to remember the fun and love available to us in this grand world. Thanks for the happy faced reminders, Jono.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Blog Fodder, Best advice I've heard from a cow.

    Al,
    That pretty much sums it up.

    ABFTS, You could try and marry into the family, but there is a waiting list and a vigorous entrance exam.

    Robyn, The doom and gloom gets old, especially in this election year. It doesn't have to be that way all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. really sorry for your loss .pics of your friends are so vibrant and sensational you and they are lucky to have each other as friends

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well written, and nice photos! All the best to you and your family Jono

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, plenty of adventures going on in those photos!!

    ReplyDelete