StatCounter

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Feed me some random thoughts

When I open up Google Dashboard to write down an idea I get to look at my feed which I hardly ever remember to look at. Then I get sidetracked by all the great stuff people are writing and my train of thought jumps the tracks. I had a really pleasant surprise to see one of my all-time favorites come back to life after a year of having been put to rest.  Iceland Eyes is back and Maria's photos and words are as wonderful as ever.

Scrambling toward winter, I have been trying to get all the preparations done on the farm. Winter water, working light bulbs, feed supplies, faucet washers, and other details need to be tended to. Most of this is anticipation of my new bionic knee that I am supposed to have installed on Friday. Procrastination is a luxury I can't afford at the moment, but will be happy to return to when the time is appropriate. Effective procrastination takes a lot of procrastination to perfect, but I keep putting it off.



Did I mention that the PBR finals are going on now? No, it's not beer (Pabst Blue Ribbon) in this case (or keg), but Professional Bull Riding. Who in their right mind would do such a thing? Young guys with more testosterone than brains, but it makes for some great entertainment. The bulls live a pampered life and the cowboys, or in this case bullboys, try to keep from getting seriously hurt while staying on the back of a specially raised and trained bull. It is only for eight seconds, but so much can happen in that time. These are the best bulls and riders in the world and more often than not the bulls win. Mostly Brazilians and Americans compete with a few Aussies, Mexicans, and Canadians thrown in for a little variety.  

The last time (and first time) I had surgery was on Halloween two years ago. I was taken aback when they rolled me into the OR and everyone was wearing masks, but then realized what day it was before they put me in lala land. This time it is on the day after Halloween, so I wonder if they will still be wearing masks. What is it they are trying to hide anyway? 
 I think of my horses missing my twice a day company, but Stitch will take on most of those duties. When they stare at the house before feeding time I wonder if they will think like this? 


'Knee replacement huh? I'm pretty sure Thunder wasn't told that was an option.' by Gruhn, Mike
I hope stitch is up to it. If she holds up physically to the rigors of hay-flinging and water-hosing she won't have to do this anymore to stretch her back. At least I think that is what she was doing at this moment.
Maybe I'll get a chance to finish reading a few books before I have to go back to work.

10 comments:

  1. I hope you're back to caring for your horses soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your surgery. Love the pictures and the cartoon. It's nice when you get medical staff with a sense of humour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the knee surgery!

    I had gum surgery about 10 years ago and the periodontist told me that the area around my mouth would turn black and blue. I was still loopy from the anesthesia and quipped that I would just tell people I was in a fight with my husband and, "...you should see his face!"

    My husband was standing right next to the periodontist and wanted to sink into the floor...

    Wishing you a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the surgery Jono. I know from my brother's experience that the most important thing you can do is not rush recuperation. It takes time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will be thinking of you for your surgery. I have loved my new knee. I'm sure the horses will be very happy to accept the food from Stitch, even if she does it instead of their favorite feeder!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all! I'll just say "see ya later", unless of course I get an embolism or something, in which case I'll just say, "see ya!" There is always that chance, but I'm hoping for (and working for) the best results.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you were able to winterize the farm! Happy Halloween, and good luck tomorrow with your knee surgery. Use the recovery time for brainstorming. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. So how’s the new knee, you hobbling yet?
    Halloween was several days ago.

    Hope all is well with you and you’ll be trying your hand (erm, buttocks) at bull riding soon.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with the knee surgery, Jono!
    Love the descriptions of your winter farm preparations :).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope the surgery went well! By the way, I have a hospital clown stalker, so I feel your pain! :)

    ReplyDelete